Saturday, June 20, 2009

Head II, Civil Litigation

The study guides arrived on Monday in a small box. There are four volumes with Properties taking up two of them. That's almost a confirmation of my suspicion that Properties is the most difficult head of the three. So, I have decided to start with Civil Litigation.

The study guide for Civil Litigation has 326 pages. Interestingly, the footer on each page is marked as 2006-2007. Wait a second, please don't tell me the law in that part of the world has not changed since 2007. Mmmm . . . should I call to demand for my money back?

Each chapter in the study guide has a reference to the corresponding textbook (hornbook) by O'Hare and Browne. A quick search of it on the Internet indicates that the latest edition is not available anywhere in the U.S. Internet booksellers and Cassell in Canada mark it for over US$125. The study guide says it is not essential reading. Should I trust it. To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

This week I have covered 113 pages of Civil Litigation. About one-third. This is too slow. I need to speed it up.

The laws in Civil Litigation have changed much since I last briefly studied it in 1989. They don't call the person who filed a lawsuit the plaintiff as here in the U.S. anymore. Over there, they call the person the claimant. It's the plain English thing, but it sounds silly to me. Also gone are the Summons and Complaint. Now they have forms, all sorts of forms with letters and numbers. The Claim, which replaces the Summons and Complaint, even has boxes for the claimant to check off.

I am beginning to feel my age.

No comments: